Five FAQ's about Acne & Symptoms:
1) Is acne painful?
While some pustules(pus-filled pimples) or lesions may be sore, acne generally is not physically painful. However, there are exceptions. For instance, cystic acne can cause painful cysts.
2) Are there different types of acne?
There are two main kinds of acne: inflammatory and non-inflammatory. However, there are six types of pimples:
- Blackheads and whiteheads are slight bumps that are caused by oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria buildup that clogs up your pores.
- Papules and pustules are larger bumps that occur when blocked pores become irritated. Papules are hard, raised bumps that are sensitive to touch. Pustules are red at the base and capped with white or yellow pus-filled wounds.
- Nodules and cysts are generally large, painful and hard pimples that should be treated by a dermatologist. Cysts are usually deeper within the skin than Nodules and are filled with pus.
3) Where does acne appear?
Acne most commonly appears on the face, chest, upper back, and shoulders. On the other hand, it's possible for it to show up anywhere on the body.
4) Can stress cause acne?
Stress can trigger breakouts and worsen existing acne issues. If you are stressed, try some yoga, mindfulness, or deep-breathing techniques; calm is a superpower.
5) Is it a good idea to pop pimples?
As tempting as pimple popping and zit-picking picking may be, it is best only done by a well-trained professional. Popping your own pimples can tear the skin, increase inflammation, prevent healing, and even cause scarring. Resist the urge!
Have other acne questions? Ask us in the comments below!